2012 IN JAZZ GUITAR SKRONK
Jon Lundbom & Big Five Chord
No New Tunes
The two saxophonists deploy their arsenal of effects (birdcalls, sneezes, I dunno what) with glee and a sense of provocation; Lundbom switches between clear, suede-toned ruminating and distorted mayhem; the rhythm section remains, for the most part, in their bedrock pocket. Though they play some solid heads, you won't walk around humming any new tunes if you buy this album, but it's a really good time. "The Other Third One" is the loud rockin' one.
Way better than Chicago Underground Duo's Age of Energy.
And now, the story so far:
31. Todd Terje - It’s the Arps (Smalltown Supersound) (indie, electro) ELECTRO EPS
32. Hillsong Kids Jr. - Crazy Noise! (Hillsong/Sparrow) (major, CCM, children’s) CHRISTIAN KIDDIE MUSIC
33. Third Coast Percussion - John Cage: The Works for Percussion 2 (mode) (indie, classical) CLASSICAL CENTENNIALS
34. Ceremony - Zoo (Matador) (indie) PUNK
35. Flo Rida - Wild Ones (Atlantic) (major, rap, dance) POP RAP
36. Various - WOW Gospel 2012 (Verity) (major, CCM) GOSPEL COMPS
37. Graffiti6 -- Colours (NW Free/Capitol) (major, dance) BRITPOP
38. Batida - Batida (Soundway) (indie, dance, African) KUDURO
39. The Fresh Beat Band - Music From the Hit TV Show (Viacom) (major?) BUBBLEGUM
40. Los Dareyes de la Sierra - Mis Favoritas (Sony Latin) (major, Latin, reissue) NORTENO REISSUES