Friday, June 25, 2010

Best Thing I Heard Today: The Like doing "Fair Game"



Retro-rock in any number of ways: there's '60s garage rock in the organ and guitar riffs, Liliput/Kleenex in the sprechtstimme vocals, and "Hungry Like the Wolf" in a lyrical namecheck. There's also plenty of Peter, Bjorn, and John in the excellently recorded drum pattern, but I don't mind:



What else? Mark Ronson produced (which is why this sounds like an Amy Winehouse record), and it seems like Little Steven and my StL man Doug Morgan should TOTALLY be playing these ladies, but they're not yet, so far as I can tell.

What would '60s girl groups sing about in today's debauched world? Well, she sings fast so I'm not totally sure, but I THINK Z. Berg is describing making out with her cousin at a family reunion. Not necessarily romantically; they might just be bored. "The rules are strange, but aren't they GREAT?!" It's our job to groove, not to judge.

No comments: